- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes
- Portions: Serves 4
Look at this amazing bowl full of colors and flavors! Makes us want to poke in and crunch away these fresh, tasty veggies right on the spot!
This recipe was developed in collaboration with Christine Bailey, an award-winning Nutritional Therapist, Chef, Author and Broadcaster with over 18 years of experience. We hope you will feel inspired to recreate this at home! If you do, we invite you to share your pictures and feedback online using hashtag #myalver.
What we have here is a flexible vegan dish that uses walnuts to create ‘taco style meat’. You can serve it with an assortment of raw vegetables, roasted tomato salsa, cooked quinoa and drizzled with a Golden Chlorella dressing.
This Vegan Tex Mex is a filling, energizing meal in a bowl. Using plant milk yogurt in the dressing provides plenty of beneficial bacteria to support digestive health and immune function.
- 90g quinoa
- 250ml vegetable stock
Vegan taco meat
- 120g walnuts, soaked for 1 hour then drained
- 30g Golden Chlorella
- 8 sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 1tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- 1tsp smoked paprika powder
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1 Cos or Romaine lettuce shredded
- Handful of rocket or watercress
- ½ ripe avocado cut into small chunks
- Handful of cooked sweet corn
- ½ red pepper chopped
Roasted Tomato Salsa
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- ½ red onion chopped
- ½ red chili deseeded and chopped
- 150g plum tomatoes cut into quarters
- 1tsp olive oil
- 1tsp limejuice
Golden Supercharged Dressing
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 200g dairy free plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1tbsp Alver Golden Chlorella
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- large handful packed fresh basil leaves
- large handful fresh parsley
- handful of fresh tarragon
- handful of fresh chives
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tsp xylitol
- Rinse the quinoa then place in a pan. Pour over the vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover the pan with a lid and simmer on a low heat for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the quinoa to stand for a further 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat the grill to high. To make the salsa. Place all the ingredients in a roasting tray. Drizzle with the olive oil and season. Grill for 10-15 minutes until golden. Place in a food processor and pulse to create a chunky salsa. Stir in the limejuice and season.
- In a food processor pulse all the ingredients for the taco meat until combined and the walnuts are finely chopped. Leave the walnuts slightly chunky for the texture. Watch the little clip below for tips on how to make vegan taco meat!
- Make up the dressing by simply placing all the ingredients in a blender and processing until smooth. Season to taste.
- To assemble divide the vegetables between four bowls. Spoon in some cooked quinoa and the taco meat. Spoon a little salsa on top and drizzle over the dressing to serve.
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 532 kcal, fat 37.9g, saturates 4.8g, carbohydrates 23.7g, sugars 7.3g, fiber 6.7g, protein 20.7g, salt 1.9g
Shop Alver Golden Chlorella here: